- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 cup medium packed cleaned basil leaves
Basil Infused Vinegar
From garden to bottle for basil infused vinegar takes a few weeks, depending on the intensity of the flavor you want. I’m posting this before my vinegar is ready. We’re about to have our first frost and my basil needs to be used now.
This recipe can be used for a variety of herbal vinegars. Don’t skimp on the herbs. As a rule of thumb, I use 1 cup of medium packed herbs to 2 cups of vinegar.
- Place 1 cup medium packed cleaned basil leaves in a sealable container.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon, muddle the basil to release some of the oil from leaves.
- Add 2 cups of white wine vinegar to the container
- Place lid on container and shake
- Place container in a location away from direct sunlight and gently shake once a day for 2-3 weeks
- Strain the vinegar and discard the spent basil
- Add strained vinegar to a bottle
Use herbal infused vinegar a vinaigrette for a salad. Change up my marinated mushroom recipe with this vinegar. Leave me a comment with your ideas.
Do you have an abundance of basil? Check out my other post preserving basil in salt.