Quick pickled red onions are tangy, crisp tender, delicious and quick to prepare. I use them in place of regular red onions in my Greek salad and piled on chicken shawarma (recipes coming soon). Also top them on tacos and pile them on sandwiches and burgers. They will last for several weeks in the refrigerator. For added flavor, toss in a sprig of rosemary, a few garlic cloves, red pepper flakes or peppercorns.
- 1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Stuff the onions in a pint sized glass jar
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt until the sugar and the salt dissolve and the vinegar is simmering.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the onions until the jar is full.
- Let mixture come to room temperature before refrigerating.