A low calorie snack or side packed with flavor.
Shishito peppers are bright green, about the size of a finger and normally have a mild flavor. About one in 10 have some heat. I love this recipe and normally make a double batch to have around the house for a snack. Trader Joe’s usually has shishito peppers in stock in the produce section. Togarashi is a mixture of ground chili peppers and other seasonings and is available at Asian markets or on line. It has a nice flavor kick and is also great sprinkled on rice, sauteed spinach and meats.
- 12 ounces fresh shishito peppers
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon togarashi (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Place the shishito peppers on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over the peppers and toss until the peppers are evenly coated with the oil. Scatter the peppers on the baking sheet in a single layer. Place baking sheet in the oven and roast for about 5-7 minutes until the peppers are lightly charred in places and blistered, stirring once or twice.
- Combine soy sauce, lime juice, ginger and garlic in a medium bowl.
- Toss the roasted peppers in the citrus soy marinade. Sprinkle with togarashi.