Quick pickled red onions are tangy, crisp tender, delicious and quick to prepare. I use them in place of regular red onions in my Greek salad and piled on chicken shawarma (recipes coming soon). Also top them on tacos and pile them on sandwiches and burgers. They will last for several weeks in the refrigerator. For added flavor, toss in a sprig of rosemary, a few garlic cloves, red pepper flakes or peppercorns.
Quick Pickled Red Onions
Quick to make and such a versatile condiment. Use in tacos, topped on salads or piled on sandwiches. These will keep in the refrigerator for a several weeks.
Author: Angie Trusty
- 1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Stuff the onions in a pint sized glass jar
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt until the sugar and the salt dissolve and the vinegar is simmering.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the onions until the jar is full.
- Let mixture come to room temperature before refrigerating.
Karen Bush says
So delighted to see this recipe! I have been hunting this down in my Grandma’s recipe box and you
saved me a lot of time and I am pretty sure it is the same recipe…just in time for my salad!